For most people, chicken breast is one ingredient that is easy to prepare. However, a lot find this chicken part a bit dry and lacking flavour, especially when grilled or fried as is. Thankfully, there are hundreds of recipes that can make chicken breast tasty and flavourful. For instance, you can pour a savoury sauce on it or add some veggies to keep it moist. You can also add it to stews or casseroles and use cream-based sauces for a family-friendly dish.
Serves 4-6This chicken breast recipe is a simple, easy-to-follow recipe that is a cross between crepes and chicken a’la king. Kids and adults alike will definitely love this chicken breast dish; and they won’t notice a bit of dryness, thanks to the creamy sauce and yummy crepe. You may even ask your children to help you fill the crepes with the chicken, they would surely appreciate that you are asking for their little “kitchen hands”. Serve the Chicken and Mushroom Crepes as appetizer or double the serving for a filling main dish.
Chicken and Mushroom Crepes Recipe
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp. melted butter
1 tbsp. butter
2 cups diced chicken breast
1 cup canned cream of mushroom soup
1 cup milk
1 tbsp. chopped leeks
salt and pepper to taste
Make the crepes:
1. In a mixing bowl, place flour and make a well at the centre. Pour milk, water, egg and butter. Whisk mixture until smooth. Rest batter for at least 20 minutes.
2. In a nonstick pan, pour ¼ cup of the mixture and allow it to spread evenly over the pan, tilting the pan if necessary. Cook until set.
3. Flip crepe over and cook the other side for 30 seconds more.
4. Stack cooked crepes by placing a piece of parchment paper in between each crepe.
1. In a saute pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add chicken and stir-fry for about 5 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
2. Pour in cream of mushroom soup and milk. Let simmer and stir continuosly until thick and well-blended.
3. Stir in leeks. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for about a minute more. Set aside to cool.
1. Place about 4 tablespoons of chicken and cream mixture in on crepe and roll like a jelly roll.
2. Repeat procedure with the remaining crepes.
3. Arrange chiken and mushroom crepes on a serving tray, pour remaining chicken and cream sauce and serve.
- If you or your kids love cheese, grate some cheddar or parmesan on top just before serving.
- You may double the amount of milk and cream of mushroom soup for a creamier dish.
- Want to prepare ahead of time? Cook the crepes up to 4 hours prior to serving time and set aside stacked (with parchment sheets in between layers) and covered with clean dishcloth.
- Hide veggies inside the crepes by chopping celery and broccoli and adding them right after the chicken has cooked.